Maharani’s Arts and Commerce College for Women, Mysore is one of the oldest and renowned institutions in the country. The college is in the forefront of providing higher education exclusively for girl students. The institution is located in the heart of the city at Jhansi Laxmi Bai Road, very close to the Deputy Commissioner’s Office, another heritage building. The college is situated near the Railway Station, City Bus Stand, Devaraja Urs Road. All the facilities needed to the students and the college are available within a radius of one kilometer.
The college had its humble beginning in the last quarter of 19th century. With the establishment of Maharani’s Girls’ School with Primary and Middle Sections in 1881, with an enrolment of 28 girls. The School was taken over by the Government from the private management in 1891 which was upgraded into a high school. In 1902, it was made a Second Grade College with the name Maharani’s College and was affiliated to the University of Madras.
With the establishment of the University of Mysore in 1916 under the initiative of Sir.M.Vishveshwarayya, the munificence of Sri. Krishna Raja Wodeyar IV. The College was affiliated to the University of Mysore. The College was upgraded and was elevated to the status of a full-fledged first grade college in 1920 for imparting higher education leading to the award of university degrees. The first batch of 29 students of Maharani’s College took their degrees in the Convocation held in 1928. Since 1920, the college has paved the way in promoting higher education both quantitatively and qualitatively among women. As the enrolment of the students started increasing, it became an imperative need to shift the college to Cheluvamba Mansion in 1946. Later on, the college was shifted to the present building. The college celebrated its 50 years of service to the society by celebrating Golden Jubilee in 1968 in a grand way.
With the establishment of the Directorate of Collegiate Education by the Government of Mysore in 1960, the college came under the joint administrative control of the University of Mysore and Directorate of Collegiate Education. Under the magnanimous aegis of the Directorate and the able stewardship of eminent principals, the college has carved a niche for itself in the academic realm of the state as a distinguished and renowned first grade college.
In July 1979, the Maharani’s College for Women, Mysore with a strength of 3,500 was bifurcated into Arts and Science Colleges for effective and efficient management and to improve performance in the field of higher education. Since 1979, the college has become a centre of excellence and an esteemed institution imparting higher education to women in the country. In 1990, the college celebrated Diamond Jubilee in a very grand scale.
After bifurcation, Maharani’s College for Women was renamed as Maharani’s Arts College for Women providing higher education in various fields of Arts. The college was pioneer in introducing different combinations to meet the demands of the society. The college adopted both Kannada and English as the medium of instruction to make teaching learning effective. The college offered various languages such as Kannada, English, Sanskrit, Hindi and Urdu as optional subjects along with other combinations. The college, in the recent years started offering courses on Women Studies, Public Administration to widen the intellectual horizon of the students. The college is proposing to introduce Journalism as a subject in the ensuing academic year.
Responding to the socio-economic needs, the college has able to project its versatile character by diversifying its curriculum from a purely arts and social science institution into Commerce and Management. To keep pace with the globalization and to cater the needs of business world, the college started opening commerce courses in general and vocational aspects. As the demand increased for commerce graduates in various fields, more and more enrolment was done. The commerce students have a wider choice in choosing the specialization from Taxation, Banking, International Trade, Insurance, etc.
As the management became the mantra of the business world, to develop efficient women managers with dynamism, self-motivation and effective leadership qualities, the college started Business Management Course. The college has been successful in developing efficient management professionals by increasing their intake to the tune of 739 in 2007-08. The college offers management degree with various specialization to choose from Marketing Management, Financial Management, Human Resource Management, International Trade, etc.
The dream of starting PG courses for women in the pleasant atmosphere of the campus was turned into reality with the introduction of PG courses in Economics and English.
To develop future managers and empower women to be self reliant and effective leaders in business arena, the college is all set to enroll students for masters in Business Administration. Further, the college has made preparations to conduct PG programmes in Geography and Public Administration from the academic year 2008-09.